Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I am finding the WIFI too tediously slow for my liking. And my book, too tediously heavy for carrying around. So lets write. For no other reason than to pass time and encrypt my memories into type. And yes, I know that that was a phrase, an incomplete sentence. I am determined to blow every grammatical rule and start sentences with ‘and’ and ‘but’ despite my computer yelling “no” at me with green dotted lines. I am not being graded nor am I writing for academic purposes-thank God my semester is over! 

I am in Toulouse. I was here 3 and a half years ago with Phil and my mom. I was concerned visiting places I had first created memories with my ex husband (apparently husband is no longer politically correct to use according to my liberal-leaning spell correct). It was an odd feeling driving by the Ibis hotel we stayed at the night of our departure back into Canada, or was it Casablanca we flew to from Toulouse? Walking around yesterday evening I stumbled upon the spiral parking garage we parked at the evening Phil and I ditched my mom and drank expensive small coffees in the fancy square-I’m too lazy to search for the name I apparently forgot-la Capital maybe? It’s funny that I remembered that parking place. Perhaps it is because it is a close rendition to the Tyco’s Parking garage I used to play with at Chris and Curtis’ when I was a child-the one with the foam car wash. The same foam car wash which I am sure has seen the digestive track of many small children throughout the ’80’s. 

My insides are tremoring with caffeine. I leave in about 2 hours for Paris. It was never my intention to goto Paris, but as I was rather unorganized, or more aptly put, disinterested, to plan my trip before I flew out of the country, I didn’t realize that Toulouse is not the place to be if you’re planning to get to Cologne, Germany next. In Paris I can buy a global train pass, a pass which Toulouse has some prejudices towards as it’s unavailable here. 

So far I am doing fine. Toulouse is beautiful. I wasn't even panicked when I arrived in at 7 in the morning with no clue as to where I would stay or what to do. I messaged someone on airbnb.com and found a foldout futon sort of thing, right in the centre of Toulouse for $35. My host has been amazing, and I think I prefer sharing someone's home to a cold overpriced hotel. He even had breakfast waiting for me when I woke up, which I only found out after an email I received around dinner time. Thomas is a rocket scientist, en route to a black belt in karate, and a musician-and hasn't even hit thirty yet. People like him inspire me. For some reason I grew up thinking that one must start young to excel and accomplish things, by things I mean music, sports, arts and such. There were many things I simply did not try based on the fact that I did not start doing it at the age of four, or tried only to discover I did not have an immediate natural affinity towards it and therefore discontinued my effort. Silly Paige. I realize how off that thinking is and am now determined to do and be everything I think is awesome. A Toronto friend along with Crossfit showed me it’s really just hard-work and determination.  

I started this post yesterday. I am actually still in Toulouse, a story which can wait for my next post, which I shall probably commence now. Here's to discovery and independence; small expensive coffees and horrible internet service; derailed plans and recoveries. 

Cheers.  



No comments: